Over the past 10 years, bicycling has become extremely popular in the United States. It is a convenient and inexpensive method of travel, especially in large cities where traffic is congested and parking spaces are difficult to find. High tech materials and fabrication have now made bicycle riding virtually effortless and many families enjoy exploring the countryside on bicycles. Many cities now recognize the increase in bike traffic and have constructed special bike lanes. Parks have now made trails accessible to bicycles. Even some vehicle manufacturers are now offering bike racks as standard equipment. Sadly, however, many automobile drivers do not respect the bicyclists’ rights to share the road and, more importantly, many young bike riders have not been educated on how to legally and safely share the road with automobiles.
Uneducated drivers and bicyclists have resulted in some staggering statistics. Did you know that:
- A bicyclist is fatally injured every 6 hours;
- Nearly one million children are injured each year in bicycle related accidents;
- 40% of all bicycle fatalities occur to children under the age of 16;
- Head injuries from bicycle accidents account for 75% of all serious injuries and deaths;
- While collisions between bicycles and automobiles only account for 1/3 of accidents, they account for the majority of the catastrophic injuries.
- Motor vehicle operators must be attentive to bicycle riders. They must equate a bicycle with a motor vehicle and observe the same traffic laws. There are many “new” traffic laws concerning bicycles and ignorance of the law will not protect you if you injure a bicyclist.
Bicycle riders are also subject to the same traffic laws as motorists. If you are riding a bicycle, you are also required to obey the traffic laws.
If you have been seriously injured in a bicycle accident due to the negligence of another driver, you need to hire an attorney who can easily maneuver the twists and turns of the legal system, the insurance red tape, and the defendants’ attorneys. You need to hire accomplished attorneys who have knowledge, experience and resources – attorneys who are committed to you and your case and can give you results. You need CALIFORNIA LAWYERS GROUP. Call us today at 1-800-4-INJURED or Contact Us Online.